Getting organised

In my previous post I gave an update how the workshop is slowly taking shape. It's starting to become a productive environment, where I can pop in to work on a small project for a couple of hours. 

Last weekend I was doing a small job – making a frame to support my monitor arm. Not something worth to report about. While I was working on this, I realised how my work bench usually clutters up with tools, materials, pieces of scrap wood etc, quite quickly. Even for such a quick and small job.


I do thrive in chaos I believe, and when it comes to describing my work environment I would full heartedly endorse Ana's words of wisdom (on a t-shirt): 'My mess is a method, not a consequence of carelessness'.

But when I was looking for my 3 mm drill bit for the fifth time in just 30 minutes or so, I realised that no matter what I am working on... at some point chaos starts to reign. Chaos that competes with my principle of first order of retreivability. It was time to take back control!

When I looked at the worktop of my bench, cluttered with tools and rubbish, I envisaged the solution to be some sort of small island of order and tidiness that surfaces from a tumultuous ocean of instruments, materials, fasteners, cut offs, saw dust etc. Something that helps me create small pockets of structure and discipline that provides easy access to frequently used tools, without becoming a burden that requires frequent attention and organisation, something that would help me to uphold my flow.

Islands of order in an tumultuous ocean of tools and stuff.

Instead of overthinking it too much, I started making – as thinking with my hands – what the solution could look like. I decided to address an immediate need and develop a solution for my wandering drill bits and other essentials for drilling holes and fastening screws. 

I took some scrap wood, drilled a couple of holes... and yes, I did deliberately create a grid, to convey a sense of discipline and control – years of training in typographic design kicks in when order is required.


... and Bob's your uncle...


When not in use, it fits perfectly next to my other tools.

I am planning to build a couple more of such small organisers, the next one is for my wandering pencils and scribing tools.