The essence of woodworking?

I like to understand the very essence of a skill, practice or craft – they are often defined by a handful of principles, that once you understand them, allow you to take different routes or angles to solve everyday or complex problems. 

For woodworking I hadn't given it much thought (yet) – but recently I stumbled upon two observations that resonated well and stuck in my mind ever since. 

"Woodworking is the act of cutting large boards into small boards and then putting them back together."

––––– WorkshopCompanion.com

In that process of cutting and assembling, mistakes are inevitable...

"Woodworkers are bound to make mistakes, the key is developing the skills to fix them."

––––– FineWoodworking.com

In all it's simplicity I like this idea, that woodworking is essentially about cutting a piece of wood into smaller pieces – with a saw, chisel, knife, axe, router etc – and then assembling or joining them – with nails, screws, dowels, glue etc. – to create an object that has a new form and function. And in that process, you have to deal with your mistakes and fix them. 

Here is a short visual summary to conclude this post...