How I got into woodworking
As a little boy I watched my grandfather working with wood in his shed. Creating a furniture for his home, or one of his children, repairing his green house at his allotment, or building a bee hive to collect honey – I could watch him for hours, fascinated by the process of making and how at the end of the day there was always a tangible result.
Having something tangible at the end of the day, inspired me in my adolescence to go to art school and study Graphic Design. I have burnt many litters of the midnight oil honing my design skills, creating posters, booklets, typefaces with pen, paper, tape, glue and a precision knife – but I also explored the possibilities digital layout tools like QuarkXpress.
Right after graduation, my career took a first unexpected turn. Curious about this new medium called the "internet" I rode the waves of the dot-com hype – and crashed landed when the lead ballons started to fall.
I hadn't realised by then, that a website, or computer interface lacked the material substance of paper, but as a designer I was intrigued how to give meaning to all the information out there, and make it accessible to the intended audience.
I got into teaching about this new form of design and slowly got involved in other forms of design: curriculum design, learning design, organisational design. Forms of design that produce very few tangible outputs (mostly schemes and documents) but nevertheless it did impact the lives and careers of many students.
I was reminded of my love for making and creating (with my hands) when I did my masters in Industrial Design Engineering, where we had workshops and built prototypes of cash machines, snow shovels and experimental 'provotypes' to support group reflection.











